Exposed Interior Limestone Walls

The exposed limestone between our front foyer and kitchen was formerly an exterior wall.  At one point, our plan was to demo this wall to open up the kitchen, and use the stone to restore the northeast section of the house that had burnt down roughly a century ago.  However, in April 2017 when general demo began and we pulled off the plaster that covered those walls, our plan quickly changed.

ab4

Three main things led us to reconsider demolishing this wall.  We were very pleased to see how well the mortar had held up; minimal re-pointing will be needed.  Second, once the flat ceiling was removed in our master bedroom, we were awestruck by the look and feel of the stone wall and vaulted ceiling.  Third, we loved the breathtaking color and character of the now-exposed well-preserved limestone up in the attic area.

 

We worked with the contractor to revert to an earlier plan that included the wall, and made designs to keep the vaulted ceiling in the bedroom.  The big remaining problem, though, was that most of the limestone was still coated with a thick layer of plaster and dirt.  Our contractor quoted us a price to clean them with sandblasting, but it was steep and out of our budget.  We would have to do this one ourselves.

IMG_7322

Seeking to do as little harm to the limestone as possible, we started with just elbow grease.  With non-wire scrubbing pads and neutral cleaning agents, we scrubbed.  And scrubbed.  We had to use minimal water so as not to damage the floors.  It made a difference, but a good bit of the plaster was just too stubborn. The walls still needed work.

We then moved to low-psi abrasive blasting using a portable air compressor and a siphon-fed blaster hose that proved to be $20 very well spent.  We tested on surplus limestone to find the right pressure and distance that would not eat away the stone itself, then set to work.  It was a long, tedious process, especially taking care to preserve the mortar.  I can see why the contractors charged so much.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We are very pleased with the result.  Once overall construction is drawing to a close, we will give the walls another good scrubbing, then apply some sort of (non-sealing) finish.

Advertisements

Devilbiss Restoration is Underway!

Devilbiss began their work renovating and restoring the farmhouse.  Their first task was “demolition,” as they say.  The term always made us nervous, but it refers to clearing out the stuff in the house that is not staying.  This includes everything from old, unsalvageable appliances to 1970s wood paneling to crumbling plaster ceilings.

Here is a before-and-after album showcasing some of the progress during this first week.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Playing With Pry Bars

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We hoped to preserve as much of the old wood floors in the family room as possible during the restoration process.  However, the floor in that needed to be re-leveled.  The center of the original part of the home had sunk, and as such, the family room floor was falling 8″ across the ~20′ room.  All the floorboards would need to come up.

We spent a chilly December morning pulling up a few boards to see how they were laid, and were pleased to find they were surface-nailed, with no (remaining) glue.  Most that we pulled up had the tongue-and-groove still intact.  We had renewed optimism that the floorboards could be salvaged.

We also opened up the original front door (now in between the dining room and family room), which had been boarded shut while the house was abandoned.