We hoped to preserve as much of the old wood floors in the family room as possible during the restoration process. However, the floor in that needed to be re-leveled. The center of the original part of the home had sunk, and as such, the family room floor was falling 8″ across the ~20′ room. All the floorboards would need to come up.
We spent a chilly December morning pulling up a few boards to see how they were laid, and were pleased to find they were surface-nailed, with no (remaining) glue. Most that we pulled up had the tongue-and-groove still intact. We had renewed optimism that the floorboards could be salvaged.
We also opened up the original front door (now in between the dining room and family room), which had been boarded shut while the house was abandoned.