Owner: Jack Linton and Betty Linton (Thomas)

Russell and Bertha Thomas conveyed the farm to their daughter Betty and her husband Jack T Linton.  As the story goes, Grandpap Russell had reached retirement age, and no longer wished to deal with managing the farm.  Russell was working out a deal to sell the property to the current lessee for $50,000.  His son-in-law, Grandpap Jack, decided to match the offer and keep the farm in the family.

Fire!

In the early 1900s, a fire destroyed the second floor of the northeast section (the 1790 construction). The fire occurred sometime between 1918 and 1926. Rather than restore the second story, a shed roof was built, slanting from the still-two-story front wall to the now-single-story rear wall, as seen in the picture below. Construction was completed by the time this photo was taken in 1928.

Owner: Russell and Bertha Thomas

Russell Thomas received the farm from his father J. Franklin for $10 consideration. According to the 1920 census. Russell Thomas was 34 and a widow living there with three daughters, two sons and an aunt. Records continue to show he still owned the farm in 1930 and lived there with his second wife Bertha. The value of their home was listed as $16,000.