In 1748, Christian Kemp petitions for a road from Nelson’s Ferry to Frederick. It is what we now know as MD-351 Ballenger Creek Pike.
By conservative estimates, construction was completed on the original farmhouse by 1745. Some sources list the house as built as early as circa 1740.
The original portion of the house comprises the northwest portion of the building. The original front door (still existing) is between the current-day dining room and family room.
In 1740, Christian Kemp (1715-1790) purchased the 230-acre “Dispatch” and 100-acre “Kemp’s Delight.” (Davis, J. (1993). Maryland Historic Trust Inventory of Historic Properties F-1-179.)